The Legal Renewables Initiative – Getting to 100%
A new network within the LSA designed to support LSA members to reduce their carbon footprint through switching to renewable energy. Join Allen & Overy, Macfarlanes and Oxygen House in signing up to this free scheme and make the commitment to be 100% renewable supply for UK based locations by 2025. Supported by Good Energy.
The LSA has been in the forefront of promoting and supporting sustainability and awareness of climate change within the legal sector for the last 12 years, shifting attitudes and encouraging firms of all sizes across the UK to take positive, lasting actions to reduce and mitigate their climate impacts. Whether it is measuring their carbon footprint or embracing to the Sustainable Development Goals, LSA members commit to working collaboratively on all aspects of sustainable practice.
Many LSA members have policies and practices in place around energy use and carbon reduction so the next logical step is to focus on renewable supply and to work towards our collective Net Zero goals as a nation through adopting renewable tariffs for domestic energy supply.
Legal Renewables Initiative– getting to 100%
Inspired by (and modelled in part upon) RE100, the LSA Legal Renewables Initiative – getting to 100% is a free-to-join network within the LSA which asks members to pledge to source their electrical energy for their UK offices and locations from certifiable 100% renewable sources by 2025 and provides support inn achieving this.
Many members are already on green tariffs provided by large energy suppliers, some of which are not wholly sourced from renewables. Many providers are buying energy which has been sold and recertified on the wholesale market and is not from 100% renewable UK sources, while others are purchasing a green tariff from a mainstream company, the majority of whose supply is from fossil fuel sources.
While purchasing energy on green tariff is an excellent first step, eventually we would hope that all LSA members would eventually be able to switch to purchasing from a certified 100% renewable source, by 2025 Our new network is designed to support and help that transition over time and we have the support of Good Energy who are offering a range of benefits for legal firms – as and when they renew their energy contract.
How to Join the Legal Renewables Initiative
Joining is easy, all you need to do is:
- A public commitment to going 100% renewable for your electricity supply for UK locations and offices by 2025 – preferably from a 100% renewables energy company
- A willingness to share green energy ideas and information with staff and employees to encourage shifting attitudes at home as well as at work
- A focus on energy saving and reduced consumption to help drive down carbon and climate impacts
- Membership of the LSA
As part of this initiative LSA members can benefit from:
- Advice and information around energy saving, reducing consumption and awareness raising through the LSA – including seminars and events
- The opportunity to use ‘Legal Renewables Initiative’ branding and logo on your website and internal communications
- A clear commitment to green energy that shows your staff, stakeholders and clients that you are serious about reducing your climate impacts
In addition, Good Energy are offering LSA members some extra benefits if you choose to buy or switch suppliers in the future
- A dedicated support and customer service from Good Energy
- Preferential pricing for both commercial and domestic supply, including employee discounts on domestic supply
- A guarantee that all energy supplied comes from 100% UK renewable (non- nuclear) sources
Good Energy have lots more information about their work and our partnership – click here for more
I would like to sign up my organisation for the Legal Renewables Initiative – please get in touch with me